Read for the Cure has chosen to support: The Cancer Research Society (CRS), specifically their Environment-Cancer Fund, and the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
All proceeds from our events are donated to cancer research. In 2012 we donated $138,000 to these two excellent
organizations; since our first events in 2007, we have donated over $500,000 to cancer research.
Founded in 1945 in Montreal by a group of concerned women, the CRS is a highly-respected not-for-profit organization that currently funds 92 innovative projects in hospitals, universities, and scientific institutions across Canada.
In October 2006, the CRS launched the Environment-Cancer Fund to support research into the links between exposure to carcinogens in our everyday environment and the development of cancer.
With our expansion to Calgary in 2011, we donate 50% of the proceeds from our events there to the Alberta Cancer Foundation (ACF), and 50% to CRS. ACF is an excellent organization that funds many cancer research projects with similar goals to those of the CRS.
We choose to support the CRS for a number of reasons:
- They are a national research organization.
- They fund research into all types of cancers (our group has been affected by many types).
- They are well-established, having been around for 65 years.
- They fund only research; we decided we wanted to focus on finding the causes of cancers and strategies for the population to avoid getting cancer.
- Their Environment-Cancer Fund struck a chord; cancer and links to the environment are growing concerns.
- They have an impressive roster of current research projects – they provide approximately 100 grants per year to researchers at hospitals, institutes, and universities across Canada.
- Their scientific advisory board consists of highly-respected cancer specialists from across Canada who are leaders in their fields.
- They made an enthusiastic commitment to work with RFTC.
- A high percentage of all contributions received goes directly into cancer research.
MAKE A DONATION BY CHEQUE: Please make your cheque payable to Read for the Cure, and mail to:
98 Strath Ave.
MAKE A DONATION BY CREDIT CARD: Click on the “Time to Give” logo below to go to the CRS secure site and make a credit card donation. Please be sure to specify Read for the Cure as the Event.
MAKE A DONATION BY TELEPHONE: Call the CRS at 1-888-766-2262, and specify Read for the Cure as the Event.
MAKE A DONATION IN MEMORIAM
If you wish to make a donation In Memoriam, please call the CRS at 1-888-766-2262, and specify Read for the Cure and the name of the person you are remembering. A card will be sent to the family or friends advising them of your donation.
Note: for donations in memory of Sheila McMeekin, please click on this link: www.cancerresearchsociety.ca
Tax receipts will be issued for donations of $20 or more.