Read for the Cure Silent Auction
November 13, 2012 at Liberty Grand, Toronto
1. Four Gift Baskets of NU SKIN Beauty Products
NU SKIN is a leader in anti-aging and skin care. Experience for yourself how the radiance & youthfulness of your skin can be visibly improved with these NU SKIN products.
Basket 1-A Retail Value $486.30
Basket 1-B Retail Value $445.80
Basket 1-C Retail Value $156.25
Basket 1-D Retail Value $126.65
Donated by NU SKIN
2. Dinner for 8-10 in your home, catered by Tony Cammalleri Value $1,000
Acclaimed chef Tony Cammalleri is back again to donate his skills and time; he will cook dinner for you and your friends in your home- how about your book club? Tony speaks at the LCBO and on numerous television shows. This year he will create a memorable four-course meal featuring Veal Strip Loin as the main course.
GTA only; Monday through Thursday evenings, January through May 2012
Donated by Tony Cammalleri, Executive Chef, Pusateri’s Fine Foods
3. Oil Painting “Rhododendra” by Mary G. Smith Value $900
This exquisite oil is 6 x 8 inches plus frame; Niagara Falls artist Mary G. Smith, whose work is handled exclusively by Westmount Gallery, specializes in high realism. Her genius is to take ordinary objects and everyday scenes and transform them into stunning still lifes and vignettes.
Donated by Judy and Murray Smith, Westmount Gallery Ltd, Toronto
4. ZOOM Treatment by Yorkville Dentistry Value $750
Yorkville Dentistry, 122 Scollard Street, will provide a comfortable treatment with state of the art equipment. Whiten your teeth in under an hour with one “ZOOM” treatment! No expiry.
Donated by Dr. Edward (Ted) Cox and Dr. John Meikle, Yorkville Dentistry
5. Author Book Club Visit with Wayne Johnston, with wine and appetizers! Total Value $660
Bring one of Canada’s most acclaimed authors to your book club! Wayne Johnston’s intelligence, wit and eloquence will provide an evening you will never forget. Value $300.
To round out the evening, included in this package are delicious appetizers for 15 from Absolutely Fine Foods Value $250 and 6 bottles of wine Value $110 from Angel’s Gate Winery!
- About the author: Born and raised in the St. John’s area of Newfoundland, Wayne Johnston’s nationally bestselling novels include A World Elsewhere, The Custodian of Paradise, The Navigator of New York and The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, which was an international bestseller and will be made into a film. Johnston is also the author of the award-winning and bestselling memoir, Baltimore’s Mansion.
- About Absolutely Fine Foods: This gourmet food shop is located in the Kingsway at Humbertown. Some of the city’s finest prepared meals, gourmet sauces and products are available here, created and prepared by chef Peter Bochna and his friendly staff; truly a wonderful shopping experience. www.absolutelyfinefoods.ca/
- About Angel’s Gate Winery: Situated in Beamsville, Ontario, Angel’s Gate is celebrating ten years of crafting excellent award-winning wines. The Winery’s secret to success lies in combining traditional winemaking techniques with new-world technologies to produce wines with delicate balance, finesse and structure.
- NOTE: Book club meeting to take place in the calendar year of 2013. Date pending author availability. Every effort should be made for book club members to be familiar with Wayne Johnston’s work, and to have questions to ask him during the meeting.
Donated by Random House of Canada and Wayne Johnston, Absolutely Fine Foods, and Angel’s Gate Winery.
6. Dyson “Stowaway” Vacuum Value $650
Make your life easier, and your home amazingly dust-free! Dyson Vacuums are known for leading cyclone technology that captures even microscopic dust.
Donated by Dyson Canada
7. Gift Certificate – Golf for 4 at The Country Club Value $620
Enjoy a day out at this prestigious Club Link course – The Country Club.
Expires October 27, 2013.
Donated by Jan Chepsiuk and Club Link
8. One-night stay for two at Fairmont Royal York Hotel PLUS breakfast at their signature
restaurant, EPIC Value $500
This is the break you deserve, without the hassle of planes, boats, or trains. Toronto’s landmark hotel is offering a night of comfort and style in the heart of Toronto in a Deluxe Room, along with a sumptuous breakfast at their in-house restaurant, EPIC. Enjoy the ambience of this premier location – a perfect jumping off spot for a night on the town.
Valid to November 30, 2013 (excluding December 31, 2012)
Donated by Fairmont Royal York Hotel
9. Retrofit Pilates: 5 one-on-one Private Sessions Value $358
These are not routine Pilates workouts. Instead, Retrofit Pilates offers a unique, tailored approach to achieving your specific health and fitness goals. With this personalized package you will work out with a Retrofit Pilates Specialist who will design a program tuned to your personal needs and goals. This package is valid until June 30, 2013.
Donated by Barbara Grant, Owner, Retrofit Pilates
10. Hammam Spa Gift Certificate Value $350
This package is for the Pamper 4-hour treatment, a collection of treatments unlike any other which includes: Hammam Steam, Signature Body Scrub, 60 Minute Swedish Massage, Classic Manicure and Classic Pedicure. Hammam infuses old world traditional treatments with modern day services offering an innovative spa experience with the highest quality facilities, products, and holistic treatments.
Donated by Celine Tadrissi, Hammam Spa
11. Gift Certificate – Golf for 4 at Deerhurst Lakeside Course Value $280
Enjoy a round of golf for four at a course that welcomes players of all levels; gift certificate includes power cart at par 64 Deerhurst Highlands Lakeside – “a McBroom redesign that lets you use every club in your bag. The front nine skirts Peninsula Lake and the back nine challenges with more demanding holes.” Expiry: end of 2013 golf season.
Donated by Nathan Jackson, Head Pro, Lakeside Course
12. Gifts from Angus & Company
Small Grey Kubu Basket, Chocolate Shaker Stitch Throw, 2 Greek Key Burlap Place Mats, Black Ginger Votive Candle, 2 Willow Votive Candle Holders Total Value $237
This design shop provides customers with the feel of a general store and the ambiance of a cocktail party. Candles lit, lights dimmed and a friendly smile are what will greet you as you enter. A mix of antique, vintage, and contemporary furnishing fill the store.
Donated by Angus & Company
13. Love your dog: Gift Basket of Products for Dog Lovers! Value $258
The dog in your life deserves some TLC from Doggie Central, the ultimate one-stop canine paradise, catering to all the daily needs of dogs and their owners. This basket includes an Obedience Training Class, a Play Session pass, a Doggie Central T-shirt, a Pick-up Bag Holder & refill, dog treats, ball, toy and picture frame. Doggie Central has 2 locations with over 16,000 square feet of doggie heaven: the indoor Dog’s Park (Mississauga/Etobicoke) and The Dog’s Garage (Port Credit), offering training classes, play sessions and everything else a dog needs.
Donated by Doggie Central
14. La Mode Consultation Inc. Value $250
Take advantage of a 2-hour consultation with a knowledgeable, experienced interior designer to discuss all your needs, including colour selection, window treatments, furniture placement, space management, kitchens, bathrooms – you name it! No stylish room is complete without exceptional finishes. La Mode Consultation Inc. is known for sourcing unique tiles, lighting, hardware & accessories. Time to be mutually determined.
Donated by Jan Chepsiuk
15. Cashmere Blend Oversized Wrap by Echo Design Retail Value $210
Get cozy for winter with this luxuriant soft wrap in a versatile shade of “camel heather”. The blend is 55% silk; 45% cashmere, and the size is 20 inches wide by 80 inches long. Gorgeous!
Donated by Maureen Rankin Agency
16. Taz Hair Co. Gift Certificate Value $160
Treat yourself at Taz Hair Co., an intimate, progressive, award-winning salon with a location in the heart of the Kingsway. Taz maintains a relaxed energy where efficient, yet unhurried services are performed on contented clients. Gift certificate is for highlights with top colourist Bouchra, and cut with lead stylist, Rino (owner).
Donated by Taz Hair Co.
17. Allura Skin & Laser Centre Gift Certificates 6 Certificates for $150
Indulge yourself and discover the latest in skin rejuvenation and anti-aging treatments. Allura offers some of the most advanced non-surgical laser aesthetic treatments available today. Combat the signs of age, stress and lifestyle through safe and effective, clinically-tested treatments including laser hair removal, laser facials, and botox treatments.
Donated by Allura Skin & Laser Centre
18. Gift Basket of Hair Products and Gift card from Red Label Value $150
Look what’s in this basket from Red Label Hair Company: Aveda hair & body bath bar ($17); Aveda Custom Control ($25); Bumble & Bumble cool Brunette Conditioner ($29); Bumble & Bumble Alojoba Shampoo ($28); Gift Card for $50. “Red Label Hair Company is a fashion forward salon in the heart of Bloor West Village. The co-owners and staff boast years of industry experience; with innovative and creative hair cutting and coloring techniques they have created a salon with a truly unique style and welcoming environment.”
Donated by Red Label Hair Company
19. Oglio Roller bag Value $150
Donated by Paul Gurr, SAB Miller
20. Sony Reader (Model PRS-T2HBC, MSRP) Value $139.99
Curl up to a library of books with the Sony Reader™ with touch screen and glare-free display, even in direct sunlight. Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you shop thousands of eBooks, newspapers and magazines at Reader™ Store, or use wireless public library access to borrow books directly for free. At less than 6 ounces (lighter than most paperbacks) the small, stylish Reader is one of the lightest 6” e-Readers on the market – pop it in a purse, pocket or bag and keep your reading material constantly close at hand.
Donated by Sony of Canada Ltd
21. Two Framed Prints and Calendars by Leejay Julius Levene (1988-2007)
- Winter Scene, 1999 Pastel and collage, print Value $60
- Lola, Tribute to the Red Carpet, 2005 Watercolour, print Value $60
- Two 14-month 2013 Calendars by Leejay Levene Value $15 each
These charming works have been donated by the Levene family in memory of their son Leejay. In July of 2007, Leejay went to an oral surgeon’s office in Waterloo for routine wisdom teeth extraction. Something went terribly wrong with the anesthetist’s procedure, and he died. He was 18, healthy, and about to begin his studies in architecture at the University of Toronto. In order to find a positive way to go forward after this tragedy, Leejay’s family has been donating his art to worthwhile causes. Leejay loved reading. His family felt that Read for the Cure was an appropriate and worthwhile cause to support in Leejay’s name. The family is generously donating all funds raised to Read for the Cure. www.leejaylevene.com
Donated by Shirley Levene and Family
22. Nike Duffle bag Value $100
Donated by Paul Gurr, SAB Miller
23. Pizzeria Defina Gift Certificate Value $100
If you haven’t already, try the yummy pizzas at the most popular gourmet pizzeria on Roncesvalles- you will not be disappointed!
Donated by Pizzeria Defina
24. Menswear Gift Certificate from Bill Miles for Men Value $100
Bill Miles for Men in the Kingsway has been outfitting clients since 1970 with the finest collections chosen personally by Bill himself. Along with their in-house tailor from Italy they ensure selections fit perfectly. At Bill Miles for Men you will find the finest garments, both corporate and casual, from the top fashion houses around the world.
Donated by Bill Miles for Men, Toronto
25. Vanderfleet Flowers Gift Certificate Value $100
Enjoy an elegant arrangement from this fine Toronto florist. Vanderfleet creates European style hand-tied bouquets, English Garden floral arrangements and plant designs. The Humbertown store carries a wide array of gorgeous plants, and decorative giftware. Delivery anywhere in Toronto, Mississauga & the GTA area. Visit their website at www.vanderfleet.com/
Donated by Scott Vanderfleet, Vanderfleet Flowers
26. MOMIJI Japanese Restaurant Gift Certificate Value $50
Enjoy delicious sushi and other Japanese delicacies, at your choice of four locations in Toronto.
Donated by Momiji
27. Sheridan Nurseries Design Consultation Value $50
Spend 45 minutes with one of Sheridan’s expert designers to create a garden space especially developed for you and your lifestyle. Arrange through any Sheridan Nurseries location to schedule your appointment. Must be redeemed in full by June 30, 2013.
Donated by Larry Parr, Manager, Sheridan Nurseries, Etobicoke
28. The Westerly Gift Certificate Value $50
This acclaimed restaurant on Roncesvalles Avenue is a delicious new addition to dining in the West end! Their complimentary brunches are unsurpassed. Reservations recommended.
Donated by The Westerly
Our thanks to the following prize donors for their generous support
Absolutely Fine Foods
Allura Skin & Laser Centre
Angel’s Gate Winery
Angus & Company
Barbara Grant, Owner, Retrofit Pilates
Bill Miles for Men
Celine Tadrissi, Hammam Spa
Dr. E. Cox and Dr. J. Meikle, Yorkville Dentistry
Fairmont Royal York Hotel
Jan Chepsiuk and Club Link
La Mode Consultation
Maureen Rankin Agency
Murray and Judy Smith, Westmount Gallery
Nathan Jackson, Head Pro, Deerhurst Lakeside Golf Course
Paul Gurr, SAB Miller
Red Label Hair Company
Random House of Canada
Scott Vanderfleet, Vanderfleet Flowers
Shirley Levene and family
Sony of Canada
Taz Hair Co.
The Westerly Restaurant
Tony Cammalleri, Executive Chef, Pusateri’s Fine Foods
Silent Auction Rules
1. Each item is sold “as is” and all sales are final. Purchasers are bound by the restrictions specified by the donor.
2. Payment by the successful bidder must be made immediately following the end of the Auction, once the bid forms have been organized and the Auction table is open to collect payment.
3. If items cannot be taken the night of the event, please make arrangements for pick up or delivery.
Payment accepted by
VISA, MasterCard, Cash, Debit or Cheque